Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Title: Suite Scarlett
Author: Maureen Johnson
Publisher: Point (May 1, 2008)
Scarlett Martin has grown up in a most unusual way. Her family owns the Hopewell, a small hotel in the heart of New York City.
When the Martins turn fifteen, they are each expected to take care of a suite in the once elegant, now shabby Art Deco hotel. For Scarlett's fifteenth birthday, she gets both a room called the Empire Suite, and a permanent guest named Mrs. Amberson. Scarlett doesn't quite know what to make of this C-list starlet, world traveler, and aspiring autobiographer who wants to take over her life. And when she meets Eric, an astonishingly gorgeous actor who has just moved to the city, her summer takes an unexpected turn.* 

---

The first thing in this book that drew me in was the hotel setting.  I mean, what kid hasn't dreamed about living in a hotel? And here it was. But what really got me was that the Hopewell isn't your nice Hilton or your average Comfort Inn. Oh, no. The Hopewell is a family owned and run, fairly empty, not-quite-first-class hotel. And Scarlett gets to live in it. This is really what hooked me at first; I wanted to hear about life in a hotel. 

Second was Maureen Johnson's style. I can't think of much to say about her style other than I love it. The way everything flows and how everything is phrased is simply amazing. Johnson also kept the book moving along. I can't remember a dry section because there was always more being tossed in.

The only things I didn't really like were some of the characters. I won't tell you which ones, but at some points, I just could feel myself getting annoyed with them. I'm pretty sure I was supposed to like one of them, but he still just got on my nerves. 

Really, the only way I can think to sum up the book is with six words: it's funny, it's clever, it's excellent. If you can get your hands on it, I suggest you do.


*summary is a partial from inside jacket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think.
Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails